It's way too late for a review, blame it on the exams, but I finally did see the movie yesterday. This isn't a review, more like random disjointed thoughts, which, if you've been reading this blog long enough, would know is my specialty.
1. I'll be honest with you guys. I really like watching movies with good looking actors in it. You know, theres like the big screen, then there's this gorgeous face that smiles at you (ok, so it's the camera but a girl can wish). Sometimes I overlook glitches or logical fallacies in the movie just because the actors look nice. Yes, I am shallow.Which is why it's so appalling that even these completely gorgeous leads (Surya is super hot, and Shruti Haasan, like whoa) couldn't distract you from the movie's plot line.
2. It's a brave attempt, no two thoughts about that - trying to feed genetic engineering to an audience that whole heartedly accepts Premgi to be an IIT-ian or Tamanna to be Theni ponnu. But Genetic engineering, Pallava history, Tamil pride, Tamils in Sri Lanka AND biological warfare?
3. The first 20 minutes are great - Surya is shirtless most of the time, so.
4. Harris Jayaraj's music is really annoying the crap out of me these days. There's Oh ringa ringa which sounds exactly like that Damak song from Aadhavan which sounds like Yaethi Yaethi from Vaaranam Aayiram which sounds like Pala Pala from Ayan and so on and so forth and finally leads to Oh mama mama from his debut movie Minnale. Another super recycled tune is that sad Ponamma song which sounds exactly like Anjala from Vaaranam Aayiram. I mean, his professional integrity with respect to not recycling anybody else's tunes but his own is very commendable, but it's really about time he came up with a new set of tunes to recycle because this is just extremely tiresome.
5. Operation Red is hilarious. Especially the Indian guys dubbing for the Chinese. I am not sure if this is a valid comparison but the Indian guy speaking English with wannabe Chinese accent was like really really bad Gobi Manchurian. I wish Murugadoss had just let them speak their language and provided subtitles (a la Gautham Menon in Vettaiyaadu Villayaadu) or even dubbed over (like in the scene were Johnny Nguyen speaks to his teacher in China) because this was super contrived.
6. Johnny Tri Nguyen as Dong Lee is nice looking and has performed well. Only wished he had opposed to his character's name. I mean, the possibilities for Dong Lee jokes are endless.
7. The graphics and visual effects are awful. It's not Dasavatharam awful, but it could have been so much better considering the star cast and the director.
8. The preachiness of this movie really gets you after the first few times. I mean, I get that Murugadoss is trying to douse the wannabe "I am talk English so I am madarn gais" subculture but after a point you just want to slap your forehead and go "Yenna Koduma Saravanan Idhu!" to the person sitting next to you. Which I suggest you don't try unless you know the person sitting next to you.
9. Finally, should you watch this movie if you haven't already? I say, watch it, but on DVD.